Thursday, May 11, 2006

I think I've Overdosed on Public Television

I've been working from home a lot the last couple of weeks, so I've had the tv on in the background on occasion. I made the mistake of tuning into PBS during lunch one afternoon and since then I was just hooked. In a span of two weeks I've learned about and watched the following topics and shows:

- Texas Ranch House - reality TV series at it's best!
- Legend of Annie Oakley
- How gangs form in prisons
- History of Florida and the Florida everglades
- Physiological differences in men and women
- Global Dimming and Global Warming effects
- Issues surrounding farming in the state of California
- The all time greatest robberies ever (from stolen masterpieces and jewelry heists, to stolen bank notes and cash)

This is only a small list of the shows I watched, but as you can imagine there is a lot of information involved with each of these topics. There are social implications, historical facts and figures, scientific theories, evidence, and proofs, and just a lot to think about when it comes to the future of our children and society in general.

I rarely watch tv these days, but when you put a good documentary in front of me, I'm hooked. I couldn't get enough. I was so fascinated by all the information that I was almost moved to call in and donate money to their pledge drive!

Anyway, after about the gazillionth PBS show, I must have reached my saturation point because I started to crave episodes of South Park and Desperate Housewives. Go figure!

5 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Dial-Up Princess said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger ramblingmuse said...

I didn't actually donate. I said "I was almost moved" to donate.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Mrs. G.F. said...

LOL

makes me want to veg and learn, too. :)

Goes to show, minds can't handle too much learning...thus teh craving for more "trash" TV. :)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger 4texans said...

I love pbs for the kids' shows, but they do have other great programming, too. I also love the Rick Steves travel programs. I wanted to watch that series, the Texas house...I guess I missed the first episode.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger ramblingmuse said...

4texans - That's the beauty of public television! They had encore presentations, so everyday I'd catch an episode of "Texas" that I missed. I think they replayed that series at least 4 or 5 times during the two weeks I watched! LOL!!

Oh! And Rick Steves...the guy's a goofball, but when I went to Italy last year we went to many of the places he recommended, and you know what? I saw tons of tourists walking around with his guidebooks and trying out the places he recommended!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker