Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Strange Evening

A weird evening tonight.

I had my class at Stanford tonight as usual.

It was pouring like crazy on the drive over there. I couldn't see a thing! About 5 minutes into my drive I thought about turning around because it was pretty scary driving in those conditions. The bay area gets a lot of rain in the winter, but days when it's pouring and driving visibility is poor is a rarity. And the wind. It was really blowing hard! It made me nervous driving over the toll bridge. Scary stuff!

After class I met up with my cousin for dinner. He finally got the keys to his new house and it was my first opportunity to see his place. I drove over and we decided to go to a Japanese restaurant to eat. The place we went to is similar to Benihana's, where they cook the food right in front of you.

In the middle of our meal the power went out! We ended up eating our meal in the dark! It was too funny! The cook had just finished cooking our meal, too, so I guess if the power had to go out, then we were lucky it went out when it did.

The staff brought out candles, but they were these tiny tea candles that actually didn't really help at all. So everyone at our table pulled out their cell phones and we ate our meals with our LCD screens lit up for light! How funny is that?

The power was still out when we finished up our meal. With the power out, we couldn't use the credit card machine. The waitress had to take our information down manually. It was weird. How did people survive before all this technology?

When we left it was eerie. The entire area was pitch black. Even the hotel across the street was eerily dark. We didn't see any emergency lights on either. I would have thought they'd have a generator or something there.

We drove a mile or so, and then suddenly we entered an area that had power. It was strange because it was like going from night to day. On one side of the street there was light, and on the other it was pitch black.

Anyway...it was weird.

Ok. Time for bed. Maybe tomorrow won't be so surreal.

G'night!

9 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Blogger Mrs. G.F. said...

Sounds kind of fun, a cool adventure. I love Japanese food, yum.

Makes me want to go, we actually have a great sushi bar and steakhouse here, maybe I can take the kids...fun.

Thanks for the idea.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger 4texans said...

Guess you didn't live here during the rolling blackouts?!

Lol about eating by cell phone LCD's!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger ramblingmuse said...

4texans,

Oh yeah. I remember those. But I was fortunate to live less than a mile from a police station/fire department, and a few miles from a hospital, so my neighborhood (grid-area) was exempt for blackouts.

Yah, the LCD thing was funny! Everything had a 'blue glow' to it. Ha ha...

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger ramblingmuse said...

SM,

Yes! It was fun, actually! The food was dee-lish! The cook was really cool. Someone ordered shrimp and he managed to toss the shrimp so that it bounced a couple times before it hit their plate!

Caution: do not try this at home!

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yumm. I LURVE Hibachi style food :) It sounds like you had a good time dispite the lack of lights!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

That sounds kinda fun!

Now I'm hungry again. Damn.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger b said...

Sounds like a cool, surreal experience.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big Benihana fan. Seems like everytime I go I end up at a table with a celebrity or pro athlete. It's always a fun way to meet new people.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger 4texans said...

RM-we previously lived on an exempt grid too...but it was weird driving through town with some lights out and some working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker